Washington, D.C. –Nominations for this year’s Chairman’s Awards for Advancement in Accessibility
(Chairman’s AAA) will be accepted soon. Part of the FCC’s Accessibility and Innovation Initiative (A&I
Initiative), the awards honor outstanding private and public sector ventures that advance accessibility for
people with disabilities. Ventures may include mainstream or assistive technologies introduced into the
marketplace, development of standards, and implementation of best practices that foster accessibility.
Winners and honorable mentions will receive their awards from FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler in June
2014. The exact date and location will be announced in the future.
How to Submit Nominations
- Email nominations to ChairmansAAA@fcc.gov, between 12:01 AM February 17, 2014 and
11:59 PM March 31, 2014.
- The nominated product, service, technology, or practice must have been introduced to the public
between August 1, 2012 and December 31, 2013.
- Nominations should include a brief description of the innovation, identification of the category of
innovation, the date the innovation was introduced to the public, and why the innovation qualifies
for the Chairman’s Award.
- The contest is open to any individual or entity in the public or private sector, or a combination
- Self-nominations and those made by a third party will be accepted.
- Advanced Communication Services (ACS) – For solutions that make ACS more accessible to
and easier to use by people with disabilities.
- Employment Opportunities – For communication solutions that help individuals with
disabilities find employment or perform job tasks more productively.
- Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities –For solutions that make communications products
or services more accessible to persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Mobile Web Browsers – For innovations that can ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of
mobile browser interfaces so people who are blind or visually impaired can achieve full access to
information and communications via the Internet.
- Social Media – To recognize innovations in technologies, standards, or practices that can
increase access to social media for persons with disabilities.
- Closed Captions – For solutions that make quality captions easier to produce or watch.
Nominations may be for products or services related to TV programs, web videos, removable
media, or streaming video programming services.
- Video Description – For solutions that can make quality video description (narrative statements
that enable people who are blind or visually impaired to understand key program elements that
are only conveyed visually) easier to produce or consume. Nominations may be for products or
services related to TV programs, web videos, removable media, or streaming video services.
- Whether the innovation is unique and inventive
- The disability needs addressed by the innovation
- The number of people likely to benefit from the innovation
- How affordable and available the innovation is for its intended users
- Whether recognition by the FCC Chairman is likely to foster additional innovation and
For questions or inquiries about the Chairman’s AAA contest, please contact Jamal Mazrui, Deputy
Director, Accessibility and Innovation Initiative, via phone (202) 418-0069 or via email at
Jamal.Mazrui@fcc.gov or Kelly Jones, (202) 418-7078 or email, Kelly.Jones@fcc.gov. Inquiries may
also be sent to ChairmansAAA@fcc.gov.
For more information about the FCC, visit www.fcc.gov.